Netflix Will Not Release a Controversial Prince Documentary After a New Deal With Singer's Estate
- Onepress tv
- Feb 8
- 1 min read
Netflix will not be releasing Ezra Edelman’s Prince documentary after a new deal with the singer’s estate was reached, as announced by the two parties, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Edelman is most well-known for “O.J.: Made in America”

Last year, a New York Times report alleged that Edelman’s project would accuse Prince of both physical and emotional abuse. The documentary reportedly spanned nine hours, and features interviews with many of Prince’s former business partners, friends, and lovers. Serious allegations came from his ex-wife, Mayte Garcia, who recalled being left alone after their child had passed away, as well as his ex-lover Jill Jones, who spoke of a night during which he slapped and punched her in the face. Susannah Melvoin, who had moved in with Prince, told filmmakers that he kept her separated from her sister, instructed her not to leave the house, and monitored her phone calls. Other interviews also alleged that the star had experienced abuse during childhood and exhibited a controlling nature. However, positive memories about the singer were also shared.

When the “Times” report had been written, two companies that had been associated with Prince’s assets, Primary Wave Music and Prince Legacy, had responded in a statement which emphasised that they are dedicated to sharing Prince’s legacy in an honorable way, and that the companies had been working to resolve matters surrounding the documentary to guarantee that his story is told in a factually correct manner. Just before posting a joint statement with Netflix on Thursday, the Prince estate uploaded a video, announcing that “the vault has been freed”.